Thursday, May 14, 2020

Tye Dying with Kool-aid.

 we were doing some volunteering(post on that at a later time.) We decided to use some Gentleman's hankies(from the Free Store where we volunteer) to make some bandana's for some, going to a new home, dogs( at the animal shelter where we also volunteer). Here's the thing, they were white and boring. I had been wanting to do this tye dying thing with Kool-aid for a long time. What an opportunity!  We followed the directions for this blog posting: Um, when I went to find the exact one, I couldn't find it. A perfect reason to do something as soon as you are done. So I looked through my Pinterest board and happened to find another one that was exactly on. It was http://www.education.com/activity/article/Make_Kool-Aid_Tie_Dye/ .


  We gathered our supplies: They were white vinegar(the plain stuff not apple cider), packets of kool-aid(we chose things that would make bright colors like lemon-aide for yellow-use 2 packets of this, strawberry for red, grape for purple, etc.), measuring devices, bowls, rubber bands, something to stir, gloves, newspapers to protect your surface, and most importantly: something to dye.

1. Cover your surface to help protect it from being colored. (I don't know how important this is, but better safe than sorry.

2. You will mix each packet of kool-aid, in separate bowls, with 1/2 cup of vinegar. This is for every color except yellow. For yellow you will need 2 packets to every 1/2 cup. If you are dying lots of things, buy lots of packets of kool-aide and vinegar.

I wanted to give it a few minutes. It is not on any of the directions I read, I just wanted to. During this time, we used the rubber bands and wrapped up the hankies and few t-shirts we found. We just did them how we wanted and followed no pattern. Do what works for you.
If you don't use Gloves your hands will look like Hoopa-loopa Hands. Your choice. lol (I had forgot we were out of gloves.

Take you object you dying, and put where you want to dye, in the liquid. I let it soak for a second or two. Mini Me is trying to use something to prevent the colored hands. Keep doing this until all of your objects are colored.
 As we were done, we put the finished hankies in our sink. If you are not working in your kitchen. I would recommend a bowl to put your projects in.

Cut or take the rubber bands off and let them air dry.  We used our pantry/laundry room.
After they are dry, make sure you iron them using a cotton cloth between your med-high set iron, and the object. ( I forgot this, but it worked. I wouldn't take the chance). Also we decided to experiment, and throw them in the dryer. It doesn't work. Give a couple days to set even more before you wash. And you will, the vinegar smell is strong. lol

Look how cute Mini Him looks in his shirt. He would probably, be like "I'm handsome, not cute" but I'm his momma.

Note: Please look at and follow the directions on the website provided. I'm just not to detail orientated on this one. lol


No comments:

Post a Comment